Archive for the ‘ Warhammer ’ Category
I got this awesome space marine captain sent to me from Arbitrary over at Nerf the cat.
The scene I will put him in is charging the battle field over some broken down concrete which has it’s reinforcement bars sticking out on the sides and threw the cracks.
I will also try to lift the miniature a few centimetres and have some of the underlying soil showing on the base.
The first step was to create the mould for the concrete and making the reinforcement bars.
The mould was created by using the casing for the miniature and cutting a 0.5 centimetre piece from a toilet roll. I used some PVC glue to fix the roll to the casing.
The bars was created by taking a normal piece of wood and nailing a lot of nails in a square with 0.5 centimetre spacing, then taking a piece of wire and going up and down, then left to right creating the pattern of the reinforcement bars. I then applied some glue where the wires meet.
Then I used plaster and fill it half the way, inserted the reinforcement bars and then filled it all the way up.
When it was dry I cleaned the piece from the roll and then started to create the cracks, My first thought was to use a hammer and I elevated both corners and then hit it in the centre. This created the initial crack from one side to another but with no real control.
So for the rest of the cracks I chose to use a normal wire cutter and cutting the cracks. Which worked a lot better and I had more control.
After some cutting and cleaning I ended up with the piece I wanted.
The concrete was then painted with Adeptus battlegrey and highlighted with Codex grey and Fortress grey.
The dirt was painted with Charadon granite and highlighted with Graveyard earth and Kommando khaki.
Next step will be to start painting the captain and I hope I will find time to do it during the week.
I have finished painting my Land speeder, all different weapons have been magnetised as shown in a previous post.
Initially I thought this would be a pretty simple model to paint, but it was a monster to paint and it took a lot of time. Same techniques as for the drop pod and dreadnought was used to create wear and tear effect on the hull.
I choose to ignore the transparent base and build a new one from a standard round base. The half barrel and metal pole was taken from the 40k battlefield accessories pack. The barb wire was made by twining two wires together.
Overall I am pretty happy with the result of the land speeder, there are some things I would have done differently when painting the hull. but I am happy with the result.
Got a vacation coming up and decided to start a new project. The land speeder comes with a few different options and not to limit my self by gluing all the parts together I decided to magnetize the different part. After some searching on Google I found a really good guide over at †Talonstrike†.
I made a few alteration from the original guide.
Then I used a 3mm drill to make the hole large enough for the magnets. I then glued the a 3mm magnet to the gun mount.
When it was dry I attached a second magnet to the magnet I glued on the mount. Put some glue into the hole on the gun and fitted it to the magnets, then turned it carefully to detach it.
I then glued the magnets into place, now comes the tricky part. To get the arms attached to the torso correctly. I did this by attaching one of the guns to the arms. Pinned the torso to the seat and dry fitted everything else. Then applied glue to where the arms fit on the torso and then put the gun with the arms in place carefully to attach the arms to the torso.
The sides followed †Talonstrike† guide on how to magnetize a land speeder. Basically build up an inner wall for the doors, Fit and glue the magnets on the inside of the wall. Make sure to dry fit them first to get a good position. I used 5mm magnets for this.
Remove the hinges and the inner part of the missile launcher doors.
When you have glued the magnets on the inside of the built up wall, put another magnet on the outside, it will align up automatically with the inner magnet. Put some glue on the door and on the outside magnet, fit the door and wait for the glue to dry. Remove the door and magnet should have stuck to the door.
You can now strengthen the hold of the magnets by adding some green stuff around them.
We now have a fully customizable land speeder with the weapons of choice.
The torsos and the top part of the land speeded is not glued and will be painted before I glue them in place.
I have almost completed the base for my dreadnought, only a few minor detailing still left.
The general idea of the base was to create a crater that had a deeper depth then the rest of the base. This was done by cutting out a circular piece of 5mm plastic card, carving out the crater. I then used green stuff to shape the edges of the crater. Normal sand was then glued to soil parts of the base to give it more texture.
Some random shapes plastic cards was glued onto the outer slopes of the crater to give a feeling of destruction.
The metal beam still needs some work to fit in with the rest of the base better. The dirt was painted with charadon granite then highlighted with graveyard earth and kommando khaki.
The dreadnought have gotten all the blue armour painted and I have start to add the details. On the parchment on the left leg I have written “ULTRA” short for ultramarines and on the centre piece I carefully wrote his name “PRIMUS” which is a dreadnought from the 2nd company.
When all the details and metal are complete I will add a layer of wear and tear similar to the techniques used on the drop pod.
I estimate that I will have this model finnished in a week or two.