Posts Tagged ‘ Basing

Space marine captain gamesday 08

I got this awesome space marine captain sent to me from Arbitrary over at Nerf the cat.

I have done the initial cleaning of the miniature and pinned the foot and the head.

The scene I will put him in is charging the battle field over some broken down concrete which has it’s reinforcementĀ  bars sticking out on the sides and threw the cracks.

I will also try to lift the miniature a few centimetres and have some of the underlying soil showing on the base.

The first step was to create the mould for the concrete and making the reinforcement bars.

The mould was created by using the casing for the miniature and cutting a 0.5 centimetre piece from a toilet roll. I used some PVC glue to fix the roll to the casing.

The bars was created by taking a normal piece of wood and nailing a lot of nails in a square with 0.5 centimetre spacing, then taking a piece of wire and going up and down, then left to right creating the pattern of the reinforcement bars. I then applied some glue where the wires meet.

Then I used plaster and fill it half the way, inserted the reinforcement bars and then filled it all the way up.

When it was dry I cleaned the piece from the roll and then started to create the cracks, My first thought was to use a hammer and I elevated both corners and then hit it in the centre. This created the initial crack from one side to another but with no real control.

So for the rest of the cracks I chose to use a normal wire cutter and cutting the cracks. Which worked a lot better and I had more control.

After some cutting and cleaning I ended up with the piece I wanted.

The concrete was then painted with Adeptus battlegrey and highlighted with Codex grey and Fortress grey.

The dirt was painted with Charadon granite and highlighted with Graveyard earth and Kommando khaki.

Next step will be to start painting the captain and I hope I will find time to do it during the week.

WIP dreadnought and base

I have almost completed the base for my dreadnought, only a few minor detailing still left.

dreadnought_base_1

The general idea of the base was to create a crater that had a deeper depth then the rest of the base. This was done by cutting out a circular piece of 5mm plastic card, carving out the crater. I then used green stuff to shape the edges of the crater. Normal sand was then glued to soil parts of the base to give it more texture.

Some random shapes plastic cards was glued onto the outer slopes of the crater to give a feeling of destruction.

dreadnought_base_2

The metal beam still needs some work to fit in with the rest of the base better. The dirt was painted with charadon granite then highlighted with graveyard earth and kommando khaki.

wip_dreadnought

The dreadnought have gotten all the blue armour painted and I have start to add the details. On the parchment on the left leg I have written “ULTRA” short for ultramarines and on the centre piece I carefully wrote his name “PRIMUS” which is a dreadnought from the 2nd company.

When all the details and metal are complete I will add a layer of wear and tear similar to the techniques used on the drop pod.

I estimate that I will have this model finnished in a week or two.

Tactical squad bases

I have done the bases for the rest of my tactical marines. I am trying to make it look like an urban warfare zone, where fighting has gone on for generations, a lot of broken concrete and debris laying around.

tactical_marines_base_1

The first step in creating the bases was to break apart a normal CD jewel case, I did this by cutting random lines in the case and then breaking them of by hand. I then used my trusty glue gun and pick two to three bigger pieces and glued them to the base.

I also added some brass wire on some of the bases to look like reinforcement beams.

tactical_marines_base_2

Second step is to add some debris, I used the slate that I got from the 40k basing kit but any small rocks or sand will work. I glued them to the base with normal PVA glue.

tactical_marines_base_3

Step three is to start painting, and to start painting you need to spray it with a black base coat.

tactical_marines_base_4

Step four is to dry brush all the bases with adeptus battle grey, the concrete was painted normally with the same colour.

tactical_marines_base_5

Step five is to dry brush a layer of codex grey to the bases. Make sure to cover the corners of the concrete.

tactical_marines_base_6

Final step is dry brush the slate or sand with fortress grey, highlight the corners of the concrete. I also added some weathered numbering on two of the bases.

tactical_marines_base_7

The only thing left now is to do some touch up on the base and then pin the marines to the base.