Posts Tagged ‘ Work in progress

WIP Land speeder

Got a vacation coming up and decided to start a new project. The land speeder comes with a few different options and not to limit my self by gluing all the parts together I decided to magnetize the different part. After some searching on Google I found a really good guide over at Talonstrike.

I made a few alteration from the original guide.

land_speeder_front_gun_wip I started with drilling a small hole on the gun mount and then dry fitted the guns, drilled a hole threw the hole I just did into the gun.

Then I used a 3mm drill to make the hole large enough for the magnets. I then glued the a 3mm magnet to the gun mount.

When it was dry I attached a second magnet to the magnet I glued on the mount. Put some glue into the hole on the gun and fitted it to the magnets, then turned it carefully to detach it.

land_speeder_gunner_wipThe gunners was a bit more tricky, I first drilled a small hole threw the weapon grip. Dry fitted the guns and drilled a hole threw the grip to the weapon. Then used the 3mm drill to widen the holes.

I then glued the magnets into place, now comes the tricky part. To get the arms attached to the torso correctly. I did this by attaching one of the guns to the arms. Pinned the torso to the seat and dry fitted everything else. Then applied glue to where the arms fit on the torso and then put the gun with the arms in place carefully to attach the arms to the torso.

land_speeder_guns_wipThe sides followed Talonstrike guide on how to magnetize a land speeder. Basically  build up an inner wall for the doors, Fit and glue the magnets on the inside of the wall.  Make sure to dry fit them first to get a good position. I used 5mm magnets for this.

Remove the hinges and the inner part of the missile launcher doors.

land_speeder_side_gun_mount_wip

When you have glued the magnets on the inside of the built up wall, put another magnet on the outside, it will align up automatically with the inner magnet. Put some glue on the door and on the outside magnet, fit the door and wait for the glue to dry. Remove the door and magnet should have stuck to the door.

You can now strengthen the hold of the magnets by adding some green stuff around them.

land_speeder_wip

We now have a fully customizable land speeder with the weapons of choice.

The torsos and the top part of the land speeded is not glued and will be painted before I glue them in place.

WIP dreadnought and base

I have almost completed the base for my dreadnought, only a few minor detailing still left.

dreadnought_base_1

The general idea of the base was to create a crater that had a deeper depth then the rest of the base. This was done by cutting out a circular piece of 5mm plastic card, carving out the crater. I then used green stuff to shape the edges of the crater. Normal sand was then glued to soil parts of the base to give it more texture.

Some random shapes plastic cards was glued onto the outer slopes of the crater to give a feeling of destruction.

dreadnought_base_2

The metal beam still needs some work to fit in with the rest of the base better. The dirt was painted with charadon granite then highlighted with graveyard earth and kommando khaki.

wip_dreadnought

The dreadnought have gotten all the blue armour painted and I have start to add the details. On the parchment on the left leg I have written “ULTRA” short for ultramarines and on the centre piece I carefully wrote his name “PRIMUS” which is a dreadnought from the 2nd company.

When all the details and metal are complete I will add a layer of wear and tear similar to the techniques used on the drop pod.

I estimate that I will have this model finnished in a week or two.

WIP Dreadnought

Decided to take a break from my tactical marines and started on my dreadnought. Been focusing on painting the armour using wet blending (or feathering techniques, don’t know which term is the correct) to even out the transition from the different shades of blue.

wip_dreadnought_1200

Weapons and feet’s have not been touch yet and was not put in place for the picture.

While painting it I imagine four light sources around him, which are located in the corners of an rectangle just above the model. All lightning and shadings are then painted after these light sources.

For the base the idea was to continue on the urban warfare theme and I wanted to create something that wasn’t just grey. So the general idea was to create a base with a crater where the under laying soil was showing. Still need to add some more debris to the base but so far I am happy with the result.

Depending on the outcome of this project I might enter this in the local GW painting competition here in Gothenburg.